JUCO big-man verbals to the Tigers - Will Coleman PF/C c/o 2009  

Posted by Brooks

I'm a little late getting to this one due to some travel, so many of you already know that Memphis picked up a verbal commitment from class of 2009 big-man Will Coleman. Coleman is a 6'9" 260lb beast in the mold of Joey Dorsey.


Coleman went to Glenwood High School in Georgia, standing at 6'8 and weighing approximately 215lbs. He only began playing organized basketball his junior year of high school and did not play AAU basketball. As a result, he did not get a lot of exposure. After initially committing to play at Arkansas-Little Rock, Coleman had to head to Miami-Dade Community College.

Now, after his first season at Miami-Dade, Coleman has put on considerable weight (all in muscle if you've seen the guy) and now stands close to 6'10". Not only that, but Coleman boasts a freakish 40"+ vertical leap. During his visit, on-lookers got to witness Coleman go up for a dunk only to have to duck his head backwards and to the side in order to avoid catching his chin on the rim. They also got to see Coleman grab the top righthand corner of the backboard.

Will Coleman will play his sophomore year at Miami-Dade this coming season and will join Nolan Dennis as the second member of the 2009 recruiting class. Coleman said of his decision:

It was UConn and Pitt. They were recruiting me and then Memphis came into the picture. I always liked them and their offense. I then got it down to Pittsburgh and Memphis and I choose Memphis. I feel excellent. Just the whole environment up there, the team, the staff, the whole environment. I loved it.
Scout has now upgraded Coleman's profile to have him as a 3* prospect.

Justin Young of Rivals.com said of Coleman:

I know I'm going to sound crazy but Will Coleman will be better than Joey Dorsey when it is all said and done. Great pick up for Memphis....like Dorsey, he wants to rip the rims down every chance he gets...Coleman will help Memphis in more things that Dorsey did. We'll see if that happens. I'm not too keen on JUCO commits lately but this one is a perfect fit for the Tigers.
So, for any of you out there questioning the Memphis staff's decision to go after Coleman...don't. You'll look silly in three years.

Here's some footage of the big-man to get you salivating:

5 comments

Richard,

Another great follow up article on Will Coleman. Yes, we already know about Will Coleman, but you went much further in your analysis.

And the picture of him on the magazine cover is what we have been craving to see. The Comical Appeal "lol" did not show anything but his upper torso when they ran the story. Man!! he looks awesome and with some additional constructive straining by our guru at Memphis, he is going to have a great physical body come 2009.

Oh yeah, I left you couple of questions in my other comment the other day. They are as follows:

1. Have you heard anything more about the All Sports Contract that RC is working on for Memphis? He indicated he was going to have this action item wrapped up by the end of July.

2. In your honest opinion, do you think Xavier will commit to Memphis?

Hey, you let us know where you going in a proactive way and we can have some Memphis barbecue sent to you so you you can remember where home is: You looking kinda of thin and we got to fatten you alittle bit. You know we believe in eating here in Memphis. LOL


RaleighBartlett.. MEMPHIS TIGERS

I will try to get an answer on the all-sports contract for you. I haven't heard anything on it, but I think I have someone who can help me track down the answer.

In terms of Henry, I still think we should sit back, relax and just be patient. I think we'll like the result.

Some of the commitments may be a little later coming than we (and the staff) may have liked, but in the end I believe we'll get who we really want.

Oh, and I was in Memphis this weekend and didn't get a chance to eat any BBQ...is that messed up or what?!?

Coleman hasn't signed yet, just verbaled.

You are very correct...and I knew that...just didn't type what I meant to say, haha...will update

Post a Comment

Contributors

My photo
Birmingham, AL
In my opinion, college basketball is the greatest overall sport. March and April are my favorite times of the year. My wife says I have an obsession.

Contact

If you have questions, concerns or comments not related to a particular post, you may email me at hansen.brooks@gmail.com. Thanks for reading.

Please visit

My best friend (since I was about two years old) is currently serving full-time as a missionary in China. On his blog, you can learn about what type of ministry he is doing, the struggles he faces in doing that ministry and how you can help. If you have a free second and want to see someone living out their faith in a real way, please visit Kenny's Blog.