2010 Travis McKie - Ready to prove  

Posted by Brooks

For guys that are a part of the 2010 class, the recruiting heat is about to start getting turned up another notch. Travis McKie, the 2010 6-foot-6 guard/forward combo, has already seen things go to that next level.


McKie has already collected five offers from the ACC alone. Those teams include Boston College, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland and Wake Forest. Also, some other high profile schools like Texas, Florida, North Carolina and Oklahoma are continuing to watch how he progresses.

Travis is a guy who COULD be labeled as a tweener because he plays the three-guard spot on his high school team and the small forward (four) on his AAU team, Boo Williams. "My natural position and high school position is a 3," McKie said. "But due to the lack of bigs on my AAU team, I had to play the 4. My college position will be a 3/4 combo, maybe even a 2 in certain situations."
When asked about what he needed to do to establish his position, Travis told me "I need to improve on my perimeter skills, mostly perimeter defense."

Travis had a great chance this summer to expose himself to opportunities to grow as a player. "When I went to the NBA Players Camp, I learned a lot of things on and off the court".

Look for Travis to begin picking up more national attention now that the spotlight is starting to shift to the 2010 class.


Short Q&A with Travis McKie:

BH: Was there any specific player you got to go up against this summer that you really enjoyed going at? Why?
TM: "The whole Team Stat team. We played them twice in July and every game was a good one."

BH: So, once your summer is officially over and school starts back, what is the #1 thing you want to work on with your game?
TM: "Ball handling and commitment to defense."

BH: What do you feel like is your role when you step out on the court?
TM: "To be a floor leader and do whatever is necessary to do to win the game."

BH: What schools are YOU interested in?
TM: "Im interested in everyone who's recruiting me."

BH: What schools are recruiting you the hardest?
TM: "Va Tech, UVA, Clemson, VCU, Florida, Oklahoma"

BH: I know it's early, but do you have a clear cut leader?
TM: "No leader, Everyone is equal at this point"

BH: If you could go to ANY school...your dream school...where would you want to go?
TM: "Well anybody that know me knows that I grew up an UNC fan and that is my dream school. But it no way does that give them an edge in my recruitment."

BH: What's gonna determine where you go? Atmosphere? Tradition? Style of play?
TM: "Everything about the school. The campus, the academics, the people there etc..I wanna go to a place where I feel absolutely comfortable. On the basketball side, Style of play and the relationship with the coaches and players will be big for me."

BH: What are you going to miss the most about high school when you jump up to college? You thought about that yet?
TM: "Everything. I think I will miss the hometown fans the most. The alumni coming back to support the school. And of course my teammates who you been around forever."

BH: I've seen you say that people knock you because they don't know your position? What do you feel like you need to do in order to either establish yourself as a big 3 or as an undersized 4?

TM: "I'm a natural 3 but in AAU where everybody in the national spotlight has seen me play, I have been playing the four. In order for me to become the best player that I can be, I have to improve on my perimeter skills and mostly perimeter defense."

BH: If you had to compare yourself to one player at the collegiate level right now, who would it be?
TM: "Donte Greene and Brandon Rush."

BH: What's in your iPod right now?
TM: "Lil Wayne, WEEZY!!! Jay-Z, Kayne, Jeezy & The Game"

BH: Tell the readers one thing unique about Travis McKie that sets you apart...
TM: "That I am a funny person and love to be around people."

0 comments

Post a Comment

Contributors

My photo
Birmingham, AL
In my opinion, college basketball is the greatest overall sport. March and April are my favorite times of the year. My wife says I have an obsession.

Contact

If you have questions, concerns or comments not related to a particular post, you may email me at hansen.brooks@gmail.com. Thanks for reading.

Please visit

My best friend (since I was about two years old) is currently serving full-time as a missionary in China. On his blog, you can learn about what type of ministry he is doing, the struggles he faces in doing that ministry and how you can help. If you have a free second and want to see someone living out their faith in a real way, please visit Kenny's Blog.