Tamir Jackson - Wide Open  

Posted by Brooks


Less than one month ago, on July 22nd to be exact, Tamir "Pop" Jackson officially decommitted from the University of Alabama at Birmingham after verbally committing in April.


Jackson, a native of Paterson, NJ, averaged 14 points and 3 assists last year for St. Benedicts. He was a big part of their 24-1 record and #2 national ranking.

Speaking with Jackson about his summer, he said, "I [have been] going to camps...working on my game by myself." He noted that he wants to work on his footwork and becoming more consistent with his jumpshot.

With regard to Jackson's recruitment, he said the underlying cause of the decommitment from UAB was lack of communication. "I still haven't heard from them since I decommitted," Jackson said. "[I'm looking at] Rice, Harvard, UPenn, Columbia, Princeton, Davidson, Providence, Rhode Island, Miami, Virginia Tech, Maryland, Boston College, Marist, Arizona, St. Johns, Seton Hall and...I want them [UAB] to be on my list but they don't call."

Jackson said he is looking for a school with academics, playing time, campus life and a good relationship with the coach.

Short Q&A:

BH: What do you feel like is your role when you step out on the court?
TJ: "I believe my role is to be a leader, a floor general and a scorer."

BH: What's your biggest strength and your biggest weakness?
TJ: "Biggest strength would be that I'm a scorer and my weakness is off the ball defense."

BH: What schools are recruiting you the hardest?
TJ: "Rice, Harvard, Penn, Princeton, Rhode Island and Providence."

BH: Do you have a clear cut leader?
TJ: "No, I'm wide open."

BH: You have any other nicknames [besides 'Pop']?
TJ: "My other nickname is Jerzee Bucketz."

BH: Tell the readers one thing unique about Tamir Jackson that sets you apart...
TJ: I have good grades, I work hard and I'm a family man.

Expect Tamir to be a key part of any type of run that St. Benedict's has this year. Jackson is a player who can play the 1G or the 2G and can drain the ball from deep. Keep an eye on the kid...he may be coming to a conference near you.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Contributors

My photo
Birmingham, AL
In my opinion, college basketball is the greatest overall sport. March and April are my favorite times of the year. My wife says I have an obsession.

Contact

If you have questions, concerns or comments not related to a particular post, you may email me at hansen.brooks@gmail.com. Thanks for reading.

Please visit

My best friend (since I was about two years old) is currently serving full-time as a missionary in China. On his blog, you can learn about what type of ministry he is doing, the struggles he faces in doing that ministry and how you can help. If you have a free second and want to see someone living out their faith in a real way, please visit Kenny's Blog.