Interview with Kyrie Irving  

Posted by Brooks

Tonight I had a chance to have a little chat with 2010 6'2" guard Kyrie Irving (#82 overall in Rivals 2010 Top 100 and #22 Shooting Guard) from Elizabeth, NJ.

Despite the #82 ranking, Irving has established himself as one of the top guards in his class with his play over the summer, especially in Las Vegas. Irving is described by ESPN.com as"silky smooth with a strong handle and is absolutely tremendous in transition".

B'Ham: What has been your most memorable moment so far in your high school and AAU career up to this point?
KI: "Probably last year in the Prep B Championship at Montclair. I hit the game winner... I hit a fadeaway three to win the game."

B'Ham: If you had to compare yourself to one college player and one NBA player, who would it be?
KI: "College...OJ Mayo. In the NBA...probably Chris Paul with a little Kobe mixed in because I can play both positions and score."

B'Ham: In describing your game, what is the best part of how you play at this point?
KI: "Probably my bball IQ and understanding of the game."

B'Ham: I know it's early, but what teams are recruiting you so far?
KI: "Basically every Big East team; in the ACC I have Duke, UNC, Maryland, and VTech, Memphis, Indiana, a whole bunch."

B'Ham: Got any favorites at this point?
KI: "I don't really have a favorite. I just wanna find a school that fits me, that I can make an impact at and has a family type of environment."

B'Ham: When you say you want to find a school that "fits", what are you looking for?
KI: "I like the up and down because that's where I am my best, in transition; but I can play the half court as well."

B'Ham: I know you are being recruited by both Kansas and Memphis...I know you watched that game, so who were you rooting for?
KI: "I wasn't really rooting for one team. I just wanted to see a good game, but my uncle Rod Strickland is an assistant at Memphis, so I was pulling for them...I was cheering for Kansas too.

B'Ham: What is the biggest thing you need to work on this next season?
KI: "Not taking off possessions (defense and offense)...and stamina.

B'Ham: Do you have that one dream school that you always dreamed about playing for?
KI: "No, I don't have that one dream school. In the area I grew up in, the only college I knew was my dad's, Boston U...so I don't really have that team."

Kyrie was a very humble kid for someone being courted by almost every major program in the country who scorched the summer AAU scene. Be looking for big things from this young man over the next few years. Irving, an upcoming sophomore, will be playing his first year at Saint Patrick's High School in New Jersey.

* Special thanks to Kyrie's dad who let the strange guy calling speak to his high school son.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Contributors

My photo
Birmingham, AL
In my opinion, college basketball is the greatest overall sport. March and April are my favorite times of the year. My wife says I have an obsession.

Contact

If you have questions, concerns or comments not related to a particular post, you may email me at hansen.brooks@gmail.com. Thanks for reading.

Please visit

My best friend (since I was about two years old) is currently serving full-time as a missionary in China. On his blog, you can learn about what type of ministry he is doing, the struggles he faces in doing that ministry and how you can help. If you have a free second and want to see someone living out their faith in a real way, please visit Kenny's Blog.