Huge news - - - Henry to play for Memphis  

Posted by Brooks

No, not that one (Xavier). According to reports, Xavier Henry's brother CJ Henry will play basketball for the University of Memphis starting this year.

The former Putnam City standout said Tuesday that he will enroll at Memphis and begin classes next Tuesday. Henry will play basketball for Memphis starting this fall and continue his career in Major League Baseball with the New York Yankees after the season.

"The opportunity to win a national championship this year," said Henry regarding his choice. "Coach Cal has a great track record of getting guys to the next level." Xavier Henry, the No. 2 player in the nation, is C.J.'s younger brother. Xavier is uncommitted and is rumored to be down to Memphis and Kansas. Rumors of C.J. and Xavier being a package deal began surfacing as early as Xavier's sophomore year.

"He's going to make his own decision like I did," C.J. said. "I didn't even talk
to him about it but I asked him if it's cool if I went to Memphis. It's 50-50,
that he goes to the same school and I'm even still there."
Scout.com describes C.J. Henry as a guard with "a nice body" and "an adept driver who does a good job of protecting the basketball on his way to the rim." C.J. was a 3-star prospect in the 2005 recruiting class on both Scout and Rivals. He averaged 23 points, 8 rebounds and 4 assists per game as a junior in high school.

3 comments

Has there been any confirmation? Could this be a Kansas shot?

This is from a legitimate news source. I doubt they would make it up. I spoke with someone today and didn't have it mentioned...so, I guess we'll see.

Who would have guessed that one of the biggest committments in August would be a unranked walk-on from the Class of 2005.

This is great news for the Tigers. I hope C.J. is happy here and can thrive under the program. Plus, it is good to hear the Tigers don't use a scholarship because the Yankees are contracted to pay for his college. It would be fantastic to see the Henry brothers in Tiger Blue.

Post a Comment

Contributors

My photo
Birmingham, AL
In my opinion, college basketball is the greatest overall sport. March and April are my favorite times of the year. My wife says I have an obsession.

Contact

If you have questions, concerns or comments not related to a particular post, you may email me at hansen.brooks@gmail.com. Thanks for reading.

Please visit

My best friend (since I was about two years old) is currently serving full-time as a missionary in China. On his blog, you can learn about what type of ministry he is doing, the struggles he faces in doing that ministry and how you can help. If you have a free second and want to see someone living out their faith in a real way, please visit Kenny's Blog.